Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mild Hypothermia?

I went for a planned 30 mile ride yesterday in a 40 degree rain. Needless to say that I was soaked fairly quickly. I was wearing a rain coat but you still get soaked, just from the inside. Anyway, I was really cold by the time the ride was over.

As a side note, I had to end the ride early due to the road being closed as a result of a fatal car accident. Rather than ride the additional 12 miles on the safe detour route, I called Annie and she came to pick me up in the truck.

I was unable to get warm last night and really didn't feel all that well. This morning I was out at 5:30 AM for my planned 10 mile run. It was 40 degrees, foggy and drizzling. By the time I reached the 5 mile mark, my legs felt like lead, I was soaked through and shivering. I ended the run and came home. After breakfast, I collapsed in the bed. I ended up missing church and sleeping for more than 3 hours. I am finally warm but still feel really weak. Lesson learned here is that when it is cold and wet, stay home! Either that or invest in some wool cycling wear and a better cycling jacket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds rough! Cold rain is the worst and pretty much the only weather that will keep me off my bike every time. I definitely recommend wool if you're going to be tougher than I and work through the weather. Wool is magincal, like fairies and unicorns, but real.

-Dottie

Matthew Steinhoff said...

In January, the family took a trip to visit a grandmother in North Carolina and then Missouri. I dragged my bike along.

I did ten miles in 20-degree temperatures then another six miles in 11-degree weather. I was horribly prepared and was cold but not too uncomfortable. At least I was dry.

Saturday morning it was raining but did the 42-mile loop with the group. Even though it was nearly 75 degrees by the end of the ride, my toes were wet and numb. Wet and even coolish sucks. 40 and wet is cause to call it a day and go home.

Of course, when it gets to be 95 degrees this August, I'd rather ride in a light rain than raw heat.

Dottie: Unicorns aren't real?

Cheers,
Matt