Friday, August 15, 2008

Bike Commuting

Well, I finally began commuting to work on my bike this past Wednesday, 8/13. My start was delayed due to a broken spoke this past Sunday which was not repaired until Tuesday. Things went well on Wednesday. I took the longer "back" route in and the more direct major street route home. It is definitely safer to "take the lane" on a major road with narrow to no shoulder.

I did not commute yesterday. I took a day of vacation to attend the funeral of a dear friend from my church who passed away on Monday morning.

This morning, I took the major road, direct route in. Again, I "took the lane" in the two places where the shoulder disappears. I averaged 11.8 mph in which is not bad considering the hills and the traffic lights.

My quads were sore yesterday from the 12 miles round trip on Wednesday, but the soreness was minimal this morning and did not hinder my run yesterday morning. In fact, my run yesterday was a personal best for my speedwork day.

I am excited about riding the extra 48+ miles per week by bike commuting at least four days a week. I still am not sure if I will bike commute on Wednesdays due to making it to church on time. Although, if I can get an early start the way I did this week, I will have plenty of time.

No comments: